Dendy Cinema advert

Legal Advice

UCSA Student Legal Advice Guide

For students tenancy and employment issues are experienced far too often. Students are often vulnerable and unknowing of the legality of the situation so here is a little guidance on who to talk to surrounding these issues.

Tenancy issues:

  • Have an issue with your residence?
  • Housemate left without paying any of the bills that were due?
  • Have you, or someone damaged your rental property?

Legal Aid ACT may be able to assist you with your tenancy issues, call 1300 654 314.

The Tenants’ Union is another option as they provide a plethora of fact sheets on their website which may answer your question(s). Don’t hesitate to call them on (02) 6247 2011, if you are unable to find the information you need.

They provide daily updates of service availability.

Phone (02) 6247 2011 between 10.00am and 11:30am to leave a voice message.

You will be asked to leave details. please leave the following:

  • Your full name,
  • The name of the real estate agent or landlord or person you are in dispute with,
  • A reliable contact phone number
  • A brief description of your problem    

Employment issues:

  • Is your employer underpaying you?
  • Are you being bullied or discriminated against at work?
  • Do you think you have been unfairly dismissed?

Most students don’t realise that they are protected under legislation in a number of areas pertaining to their employment. If any issues arise or you need assistance please contact either Legal Aid ACT on 1300 654 314 or visit the Fair Work Ombudsman site at

Other free legal services

Community legal organisations that often help university students include:

  • Youth Law Centre – Phone: 6173 5410 (Monday to Friday, 12:00 – 4:00)
  • Women’s Legal Centre – Phone: 6257 4499 or 1800 634 669 (Monday to Friday, 9.30 – 12.00) 
  • Legal Aid ACT – Phone: 1300 654 314 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 4pm
  • Legal Aid ACT  (Criminal Law Section) – Phone (02) 6243 3407
  • Legal Aid ACT (Domestic Violence and Personal Protection Unit) – (02) 6207 1874